The domestic buildings associated with the Forge consist of the stone-built Ironmaster’s house dating back to 1680s and which was heavily modified when the Forge was extended and then further extensions built after 1780s. These buildings became two workers’ cottages and were occupied until the mid-1960s.
Because the Forge ceased production around 1910, any restoration we undertake has the turn of the century in mind.
The kitchen of cottage number seven has a Yorkshire range (made in Barnsley) and would have needed black-leading every week. There is room in front of the fire for the tin bath.
The working kitchen was the heart of every two-up and two-down cottage and the kitchen fire would be the only heating. All the cooking would have taken place over the fire or in the oven. A kettle would be permanently on the hob ready for a cup of tea.
Flat irons would be heated at the fire and the kitchen table, protected by a blanket, would become the ironing board
Some warmth might rise to the bedrooms above but, with single glazing, cold nights would bring Jack Frost patterns to the inside of the panes.