Although Wortley produced railway axles for 70 years, there was never a railway connection to either of the Wortley forges.
And there were no short Narrow Gauge lines for moving materials around on site.
Coal, Iron and Finished axles were transported to and fro by horse drawn cart.
The Main Line station called ‘Wortley’ was about a mile away from the forges (and at least as far away from Wortley Village). The main line railway ran close to Top Forge, but was on the other side of the river and high on an embankment. Thurgoland Station was closer, but that closed in 1847 after less than two years!
The two railway systems that are now at Top Forge have both been laid since 1953 when the site was taken over by the Sheffield Trades Historical Society (now South Yorkshire Industrial History Society).