This is of course the centre of activity of the site and Historically the most interesting of the Buildings. It contains the two Belly Helve hammers used in the production of Iron Axles and has three Water Wheels directly adjacent to the building.
The building has been added to and changed over the years and this has resulted in a number of interesting features.
A visitor might notice the Forge roof. This has a raised ‘jack-roof’ running along the ridge. Three different materials – Stone Slabs, Roof Slates and Pan Tiles reflect the changes and repairs made during the working life of the Forge.
Recent additions (1990s) are the two small roofs over the hammer water wheels. There are built in a style that blends with the existing roofs and are supported by structures that have not required changes to be made to the original building. A photograph of the Forge in 1905 shows marks that could be the outline of a long lost roof over the No.2 Wheel.
Visitors entering the forge may notice that two stone arches at the entrance are actually supported on iron columns. Also, a large (and heavy) section of wall appears to be supported by a timber lintel ( the timber looks a little weak but there is a modern steel beam hidden within the wall).
We know that there was major investment in the area in the early part of the 18th century and this is confirmed by a date stone in the Forge building of 1713 and a date stone from Low Forge, again from 1713, is on display.
In order that heavy weights could be carried across the floor and that there was no chance of an unwanted fire, the floor is covered in ‘Sheffield Carpets’, that is cast iron floor plates.